Wednesday, December 13, 2006

More in New york







This is another back track.Here are Some pics of the Brooklyn bridge and my dear friend Anna Cadden (who took the bridge pics). We walked over and the view was amazing. The city is wonderful and I love New York and it has been kind to me and very alive.Before I left for NY people kept saying to me why would I go? " there are no Indians there! ". How untrue and wrong this is and insulting to the people there.

There is a large community of Mohawk who were always there . They are still there and actually also many Indian people from elsewhere were moved there as part of the relocation programs that the govt had here.Many of the Mohawk worked on the high rise in the steel industry and built the buildings in NY and still work there.

My time at NYU was fantastic and I learnt such a lot . I was so cared for and was exposed to many people from all kinds of diverse backgrounds working with Indigenous people here and in Canada and in South America. The Media , History and Culture department in the Anthro dept is one of the best for sure . The focus in Indigenous media and alternative media is deep and rich and I was truly fortunate to spend time there and am very inspired. I made a number of presentations and had many interesting and positive meetings with others working in the area of media, healing and Indigenous issues.

The photos are of myself with Fred Meyers and Faye Ginsburg who head up the department and truly foster a wonderful atmosphere of Collegiality and kindness. I was also fortunate to attend to Film festivals whilst there , the Mead Festival
( mentioned earlier ) and then more recently the "Native American Film festival" This event was the most inspiring and incredible event and the organisers and selctors deserve high praise. I will write more on this soon as there is much to communicate on this and the directions of issues as seen in the films across the America's. If you want to see more though , just google for it and have a look at the program.

On another note , I would like to also let you know that Much of the academic work and the findings of my journey will not necessarily be something I go into big details about here in this blog. It would take too much time and I need to use that time to actually do the writing and research and work needed at this time. I will mention some things , but the rest will be something that will come later. I have been asked to say more about my work and will do this as an update soon , but not in great depth. I will say though , that I am totally inspired and that some wonderful outcomes are emerging for my work. I am also currently involved in setting up a roundtable with other academics to create a international conference on " Historical and Intergenerational Trauma" as well as further joint research. I have met many Indian people and communties and shared a lot and am very touched by the sharings we are having .

Ok , more soon. be well and enjoy this update.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home